Rachel B. Noel Middle School
5290 Kittridge Street
Denver, CO 80239-5628
Principal: Bobby Thomas
About Rachel B. Noel Middle School
Rachel B. Noel Middle School is a school whose entire student body, staff and community are committed to excellence in all that we do. Located in Far Northeast Denver, Noel is a traditional middle school serving 700 students in grades 6, 7 and 8. At Noel, it is our mission to ensure that every student can read at or above grade level. To ensure this mission and that the individual needs of every student is met, we offer a wide range of services including:
- AVID college preparatory classes
- Band and orchestra for all grades
- Beacons Neighborhood Center, offering a comprehensive after school enrichment program
- ELA-E programming
- Evening adult ESL, Spanish and Computer classes
- Free health clinic for Rachel B. Noel students and their siblings
- Free tutoring before and after school
- Gifted and Talented program
- Middle school sports
- Parent website to track grades and attendance
- Special Education services
- Student dress code
- Technology classes and three computer labs
Beginning with the 2011-12 school year, Noel will begin to phase out the traditional middle school program. Noel will serve grade 8 2012-13.
Turnaround Teaching at Rachel B. Noel
“Working at a turnaround school has allowed me to grow as an educator through collaboration with dedicated educators. At Noel, we are a team, all working towards the same goal of higher academic achievement of our students and increased rigor in the classroom.”
– Lara Gamberg, 8th Grade Social Studies
At Rachel B. Noel, we recognize that each individual is integral to the success of the school. Noel honors the diversity of our students, staff, parents and greater community through disciplined academic practice and professonalism and is dedicated to creating a safe environment where everyone is treated with unconditional respect and acceptance.
On a day-to-day basis, Noel teachers should be ready for the challenge of bell-to-bell instruction that supports struggling learners in a variety of subject areas, including reading and writing. Noel teachers’ step-up to the challenge of being collaborative planners who focus lessons that connect a variety of learners every day.
In addition, below are some additional requirements of all Noel teachers:
- Utilization of Teacher Portal, Infinite Campus and School Net
- Data-driven instruction
- Weekly progress monitoring of all students
- Constructive collaboration among colleagues
- Commitment to weekly professional learning communities
- After-school and extended-day tutoring strongly encouraged
"The unique opportunities for innovation presented while working in a turnaround school have been exciting for me as an English Language Development and Reading Interventions teacher. Through the after-school programming and the guidance provided by the turnaround grant, I have been able to offer students extra support before and after school that would not be available otherwise."
– Katie Estabrook, ELD & Literacy Skills
What is Noel's plan for school turnaround?
Read the Tiered Intervention Grant that was submitted in April 2010.
Read the TIG Plan Update that was submitted in April 2011.
Read the TIG Plan for Year 2 that was submitted in May 2011.
View RBN's most recent UIP Tracker.
What are some of Noel's accomplishments?
- Approximately 20% of student body signed up for before- and after-school tutoring
- 150 students participating in Beacon extended learning enrichment
- 100 parents attended open house, 250 for back-to-school night, 300 for parent-teacher conferences
- Partnering with Center on Data Driven Reform in Education to provide consistent progress monitoring on classroom instruction
- Dean of Instruction implementing a research-based professional development approach school-wide
- Teachers meet weekly in Professional Learning Communities (PLCs) and data teams to review data and plan research-based interventions to meet student needs
- Principal coaching
- Communication specialist leading marketing and community engagement efforts
How did Noel students perform on the CSAP? Take a look at the Colorado Department of Education Website.
To read Noel's Expedited Diagnostic Review - April 2010 click the links below: